iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

The Greatest Rivalry (2010) Chapter 4: An Interview

March 3, 2010

Teach and Iceman prepare for Round 2 of the 2009-10 Carolina-Duke rivalry, with Teach doing the recognizance work this time:

Teach: Duke is 25-4, but no one really mentions them when it comes to making the Final Four or winning a national title?  Why is that?  How does it make you feel, and could you relay your emotion in the form of a color?


 Iceman: Duke should be considered to be in the mix, but at the same time, they don't have the horses that many of the other "top" teams do.  I mean they began this season worried that they may only have 2 scholarship guards on the roster.  It's hard to conceive of a National Championship caliber team only having two guards, though in the end they did reap the early metriculation of Andre Dawkins.  If I had to pick a color to represent this team and my emotional state it would be Pink.  This is team is overwhelmingly young and full of untapped talent.  Other than the three seniors, I feel like everyone else has a chance to blossom next year, Singler and Smith included.

 Teach: How will the Jon Scheyer and Kyle Singler era be remembered?  Seeing as they remind me of late '70s/early '80s British punk rockers, are they more The Clash, The Sex Pistols, or The Jam?  I'll leave that open to interpretation.


Iceman: The Jam, easily.  Although the only difference here is that the Jam's last album was a massive success, they came in with a whimper and out with a bang, like many of their early-punk contemporaries.  But in the case of Scheyer/Singer, I'm thinking they be in with a bang (highly rated recruits) and out with a whimper.  I think these guys may be remembered like many of the other great Duke players who did not play on Championship caliber teams.  Great players who were unfortunately in some ways to be playing on teams in transition.  Scheyer in particular had the poor luck of playing on the youngest team in Duke history and has had to be a leader since he first stepped onto campus.  I'll remember them fondly, but not with the same adoration as a Jay Williams.

Teach: Where is Kyle Singler next year, and what do you make of the fact that in terms of attention and pub he's now seen as the second banana to Scheyer, much in the same way that Reddick cast a shadow over Sheldon Williams?  For the record, I always thought Sheldon was more important to those Duke teams.

Iceman: As of right now, I'd say Kyle is back on campus in the fall.  And on top of that, I think Kyle will have learned a little bit more about what it takes to play on the perimeter instead of the high post.  I think coming into this season, people were extraordinarily expecting Singler to be much more comfortable on the wing as opposed to his role as a PF his first two years in college and during HS.  Singler currently has the game of a guy who could a deep-threat Power Forward, and not a SF.  I think with more work on his ball handling and his jumpshot, Singler could truly transform his game heading into next season.  Now as for Scheyer overshadowing Singler....this was bound to happen in my mind when Singler began struggling shooting the ball and with his turnovers.  If anything it lowers draft expectations enough to get Kyle back for his senior season and forcing him to really improve his perimeter game during the offseason.

For the Record, I always thought Chris Duhon was the belt that made those two cogs turn.

Teach: The following is Duke's record and where they finished in the NCAA's for each year of this decade:

2000   Sweet Sixteen 29-5
2001   National Champions 35-4
2002   Sweet Sixteen 29-4
2003   Sweet Sixteen 26-7
2004   Final Four Runner-up 31-6
2005   Sweet Sixteen 27-6
2006   Sweet Sixteen 32-4
2007   First Round 22-11
2008   Second Round 28-6
2009   Sweet Sixteen 31-7

Which begs the question, how washed up is Coach K?


Iceman: This question always cracks me up.  Let me put it this way.  If I picked any school in the country besides UNC, Duke, UCLA, and maybe Kansas, and told them that during the next 10 years of college basketball seasons, they were going to have the exact results that you listed above.  I don't think there is a single school that tells me that's not a great future.  You basically have 10 years of at least 20 wins per season, you make it to the NCAA tourney every year, and only once do you lose in the first round.  On top of that you have two final fours and a championship.

Look, Coach K is not infallible, but the guy is far from washed up.

Also, under this logic, you could make the case that Dean Smith was washed up in the mid-1970's, before winning his first Championship in '82.  Short of the 1977 season in which they lost the Championship game, Dean's teams were doing exactly what Coach K's having been doing since 2001.

1972-1973North Carolina25-88-42ndNIT 3rd Place
1973-1974North Carolina22-69-3T-2ndNIT 1st Round
1974-1975North Carolina23-88-4T-2ndNCAA 2nd Round
1975-1976North Carolina25-411-11stNCAA 1st Round
1976-1977North Carolina28-59-31stNCAA Runner Up
1977-1978North Carolina23-89-31stNCAA 1st Round
1978-1979North Carolina23-99-31stNCAA 2nd Round
1979-1980North Carolina21-89-5T-2ndNCAA 2nd Round

Teach: Is the myth of Coach K's demise due more to the early departures of Elton Brand/ Corey Maggette/ Luol Deng, K's foray into coaching the National team, or people just hating Duke?

Iceman: Numbers 1 and 2, Teach.  But not 3.  I don't believe people hating a team have a huge effect on their success.  Also, to call a team that consistently gets 20 wins a season and performs reasonably well in the NCAAs as having a "demise" is a little strong.  But I would say that despite all of the positive-spin PR, Duke has "struggled" for the following reasons: 1. The recruiting landscape has changed and Coach K did not immediately change with it, and 2. Despite glowing reviews, Coach K's Olympic foray did have an effect on his recruiting and level of involvement with Duke Basketball.  

I don't care what everyone says, there are only so many hours in the day and the Olympics definitely took a lot of K's energy.  I'm not bitter or angry about that fact, I deeply respect the man's commitment to our country, but I think it needs to be said.  As for recruiting, I think the NBA rule change, along with changing attitudes about the effectiveness of college basketball as a training ground and the necessity of making an effort academically, has challenged Coach K's recruiting strategy.  Once again, most media speculation is that Coach K was never affected by the changes in recruiting tides, but I think he has just started to grasp what you need do and who you need to get to compete at the top level in this day and age.  I think there is evidence that he has softened on his "anti-one-and-done" approach with the heavy (albeit futile) recruitment of both John Wall and Harrison Barnes.



 Teach: Does any of the Duke hate stem from the fact that so many of their superstars are white?  In other words, does the fact that they are often led by players who most perceive to be from out of a Bob Cousy time warp result in the white fan simply bashing white basketball players because deep down we're all jealous and looking to make ourselves feel better about our own lack of athleticism?

Iceman: Haha, with the likes of a JJ Redick, I think the jealousy aspect comes into play.  But as for Duke hate in general, I think it stems from a few places.

   1. Duke is a private, very exclusive, somewhat snobby University, and not a state school.
   2. Duke has been good for a very long time with very few lulls.
   3. Some of the players appear cocky and in some cases undeserving of the attention garnered.
   4. Dick Vitale.  I hate him even though he loves most of my guys.

On the whole, I think elements of Duke hate do stem from acts of jealousy and a sense of everyman, classist spite and angst.  Duke as an institution reeks of self-aggrandizing and elitist sentiments, and I think the general public and especially those with teams that have been beaten regularly by Duke, find this to be completely hate-able.  Frankly, I don't blame them.  Deep down, part of me hates Duke the University, but just not the basketball team.  

Teach: What does Wojo really do?

Iceman: Sigh.  He is considered the "big man" coach, though thankfully they recently brought Nate James, who has some big man cred, in as an assistant.  I would say Wojo's strength primarily lies in his recruiting and his floor slapping workshops.  Kidding.  But to be honest, he's a nice guy, I met him at graduation last year and he was a normal dude.  If anything, my hope is that he focuses his energy on helping guys like Scheyer find crafty ways to score and move the ball, just like Wojo used to.

Teach: How good is that 2001 Duke team compared to the other champs of the past decade?  Looking at their roster made me reevaluate where they should stand: Carlos Boozer, Chris Duhon, Jason Williams, Dahntay Jones, Shane Battier, and Mike Dunleavy, Jr. (not to mention Nate James).

Iceman: Personally, for me (and I'm quite biased obviously), I think they are better than just about anyone else who has won a Nat'l Championship in the last decade.  Obviously there is NBA talent on every team that gets to the Championship, but that team really did have incredible players at every position.  Jason Williams in particular, was a fantastic player, and in my estimation would have continued to have been the best NBAer of this group had he not been injured beyond repair.  Yes, I'm including Carlos Boozer and Shane Battier in that conclusion.  

I have to temper my Duke fandom a little and say that last year's Tar Heels were a group I would consider similarly stacked with NBA talent, although their success in the NBA is yet to be foreseen.  I know people tout the 2002 Maryland team as a great one, but not compared the 2001 Duke and 2009 Heels.  Oh and didn't Florida win some Championships?  I guess they did, but I don't trust anything Billy Donovan touches.


Teach: What makes this Duke season a success?

Iceman: All of the beat writers and ESPN puff piece writers will say it's the 20+ wins, or they possible ACC Championship, or the continued string of NCAA appearances.  But to me, this team is a success primarily because I think they are over-achieving.  Coming into this season, this was a team with 3 scholarship guards, an all conference PF-ish player transitioning into his role as a wing player, and a slew of unpolished or offensively deficient big men.  Given that make up and some of the "athletic limitations", I'd say that this team is near and dear to my heart for all they have accomplished.  And once again, it goes to show that Coach K is not sliding into his "demise."

This season is also a success because the guys on this team are paving the way for what looks to be a much more balanced and dangerous team next year.  And I have to say I respect the job Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas have done on a team that looked a little unsure coming into the season.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3 , 4, 5

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Ice: some of those questions were tongue in cheek, but, deep down, I may have been serious

March 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Iceman, AD said...

Teach: I know you were dying to respond to half of what I said, especially the Dean Smith/washed up comment. I'd be half surprised if you aren't writing a rebuttal as I type this. I almost made a Phil Ford dig, but then decided that I still kind of liked him.

March 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM
Unknown said...

I'm biding my time, but, yeah, you'll hear from me.

March 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM
Iceman, AD said...

I can't wait. Can you please include a joke about how bad the Taco Bell/Charles Barkley/Lamar Odom commercials are. Thanks.

March 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM
Unknown said...

okay, my response to your Dean Smith dig is that the tournament had yet to expand to 64 in the '70s, making the 2nd round the round of 16. The difficult part in comparing Smith to current coaches is that he coached in multiple eras of the game. His last season was '97, and I think even '97 feels quite estranged from what we have now...with conference expansions and the rise of midmajors, etc.

Also, I may be among the UNC minority who thinks that K's demise is largely exaggerated.

March 4, 2010 at 7:19 PM
Deckfight said...

my one & only question---how do you think Coach K has changed his recruiting? To me he still recruits the same guys--hurley/chris collins/wojo, jay williams/jj/paulus--complemented by oafish banger-types--ferry, laettner, elton brand, shelden williams, zoubek, the plumlees

all of those guys are "hard workers" hustle-types (both black & white guys....) just w/ variations in talent.

Duke's "dynamic" nature has always come from the wing guys & their level of success/sticking around...grant hill=shane battier=corey maggette=gerald henderson=elliott what's his name that left.

actually, scheyer and Singler both seem really different to me than those guys listed above. for one scheyer is taller than any of the previous Duke point guards I can think of & a great shooter--he can create a lot better than Paulus ever could with the occasional post-up & turn around. Singler is most definitely not the oafish banger-type, though he came in as a PF & is migrating to the wing--really a first in a long time for a Duke player. Laettner did that some...but not to this extent. What Scheyer & Singler have going on this year could almost be interchangeable--if Scheyer was an inch taller & 20 pounds heavier & singler was an inch shorter & 20 pounds lighter, Coach K would probably make both of them scottie pippen/grant hill types.

ok, this comment turned out different & a lot longer than I first thought. did i just change my argument from the beginning of the comment? not sure.

March 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Deckfight said...

ok, ok, aftr reading my comment again--i answered my own question about how Coach K changed his recruiting. still glad i just worked thru that.

March 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Unknown said...

Deckfight: I'll leave Ice to explain his recruiting comment, but I think that while yes Duke always goes with that wing/bruiser combo there does appear to be a difference in the quality of talent Duke's had since Brand and company. K, whether for lack of trying or the guys just went elsewhere, has not landed/recruited as many of those guys that just leave in awe. Also, since that 2001 team, it's been a while since Duke had a deep squad. It seems like since then they've pretty much rolled out teams that rely on two guys going lights out every night, which is why I think they haven't had as much tournament success.

Was Scheyer originally supposed to play the point or is that happening just cause he was K's only option?

March 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM
Iceman, AD said...

Teach: Scheyer morphed into K's point guard last year after Paulus began stinking out the joint and Smith got injured/stunk out the joint. For the first two season of his career at Duke, Scheyer played exclusively Shooting Guard with very limited time handling the ball in the half court.

Deckfight: My comment about K's recruiting strategy more or less boils down to Teach's previous comment. You're right in that K always recruits hard-working and knowledgeable players, with varying levels of talent. But since that 2001 squad, K's strategy has focused only on players that meet a very narrow definition of what it takes to be a "Duke" player. K has tended to cast a "shallow net", only recruiting a select few players. Within the past 2-3 years however, he has shifted to pursuing more and more players, and the type of players that he "traditionally" has not recruited. Including guys who are considered one-and-done players.

Here are a few examples: John Wall, Harrison Barnes, and JUCO transfer player Carrick Felix.

These are the type of uber-athletic players that K has had in the pre-2001 period that now tend to spend one year in college and leave (well maybe not Felix). I feel as though K's recent efforts in recruiting have displayed his realization that not all college basketball players are going to stay 3-4 years anymore.

March 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Deckfight said...

wouldn't you say for a few yrs after he got 'burned' by that '01 team---maggette leaving & william avery only around for 2 yrs?

good comment about not having as deep of teams...i can totally see that.

March 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Unknown said...

I'm listening to the Simmons-Klosterman Podcast on ESPN right now, and they get into this "hate for Duke convo" also and the question of what is the Duke player. It comes up in their discussion on bball and race. Funny, (and Klosterman points it out) people leave out Grant Hill and any other black Duke players when discussing what is the Duke archetype. Klosterman also loves Scheyer, and, apparently, is fascinated by the Blue Devils...even raises the question is the idea of the Duke player interfering with recruiting

March 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Unknown said...

Klosterman also, whether he meant to or not, hints at Simmons being a closeted racist without knowing it; I think the key here is the ignorance of one's own racism...something Gillian and I talked about yesterday and how people who rarely encounter others different from themselves often harbor borderline racist prejudices without knowing it because they are not aware of how anyone of differing demographics views life, society, etc

March 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM
Iceman, AD said...

He is from Boston after all, hub of white-Irish-semi-racists. I also found the Klosterman-Simmons discussion interesting. Hill, Brand, and Maggette are the guys people gloss over entirely when making mention of the archetypal Duke teams.

March 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Russ said...

Good discussion in here. Few points.

1) I would agree with ICE and pretty much consider this team a success no matter what happens from here on to the end of the season. I didn't see how this team was going to be better than last year without Henderson and Elliot Williams, but I have been amazed at the development of the team, especially Zoubek. Easily my favorite player on Duke this year. I can see Zoubek making an NBA roster at some point, which would have been laughed at even a few months ago.

2) I would easily say that a lot of Duke hate is basically reverse racism. No better example than when Maryland fans where chanting FUCK YOU SCHEYER the other night. I mean what has he done to deserve that chant? Well he is star white player at Duke. That's about it.

3) As for recruiting, I think Duke is going to have renaissance back to the late 90s/early 00s. K has totally revamped his philosophies that burned him the past 6-7 years and is going for more athletes that aren't top 100 recruits, one and done type players, and spreading his net and evaluating more prospects. I think hiring Nate James is going to be huge as well, being able to defeat the perception that we just recruit white, skilled players.

4) I think Kyle will be back next year, and we will be a contender for the national championship next year. Our guards will be the best we've had in 10 years. Nolan Smith, Kyrie Irving, Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins, Tyler Thorton. Sick. Wing players of Singler and Felix, with Hairston being a offensive version of Lance Thomas. Only question mark will be if the Plumlees and Ryan Kelly develop enough inside next year.

March 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM
Unknown said...

I didn't see the Zoubek thing happening. It was like watching The Miracle Worker, which is now what we'll all have to call Wojo since he is the big man coach.

March 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Russ said...

People forget that he was dealing with foot injuries for two years, that really stunted his development. I wish he would have just redshirted one of those years so we could have him next year. We are going to miss his defense and rebounding. His turn around can be attributed to the best beard in Duke history.

March 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Unknown said...

Was he Benicio Del Toro's stunt double?

March 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Deckfight said...

just made my way over here, but i also listened to the klosterman podcast. he was dead-on about Hill essentially having the same 'resume' as any privileged white guy, but not deserved of the hate. Better example: Battier.

He does what all the "white guys do"---the hustle plays, the defense, the glue guy. maybe the Duke ethos is just hard work.

which brings me up to my next controversial point---off of the Simmons/Klosterman podcast & this post---I always thought Tyler Hansbrough was the prototypical DUKE player for all of the reasons listed above & his race. Has that been argued before?

March 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM
Unknown said...

Deckfight: This made me laugh because over on the Carolina message boards, which I frequent with regularity, there are guys who've had identity crises over whether Hansbrough is a Duke player in a UNC uniform. He does fit the bill. I mean, one reason he stays four years and a Marvin Williams doesn't is that Tyler did come from a more privileged background. Strange, players like Battier and Hansbrough actually debunk the notion that their background would leave them without a work ethic, feeling that the world is owed to them.

March 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Jim said...

I'm damn sure late to the party here, but the perceived lack of depth in talented, athletic players runs awfully close to the gap between Johnny Dawkins and Nate James being on the recruiting trail for Duke. It is also true that K has altered his approach, adjusting to the current circumstances. His pub from the national team duties doesn't hurt either. I think the prototypical Duke player has less to do with race and more to do with athleticism (or lack thereof). Mind you, I am speaking to the perception...not the reality. They are known for having guys that one would think ought to be run out of the gym, but thanks to "tremendous effort", "hustle", "great team play", and "every call fromm the refs" they "overachieve". This is why fans think they are soooo overrated year in and year out...sometimes, including many points throughout this year, they were overrated.

That's why I think people hate certain Duke players. Wojo, Redick, Langdon (post-blown knee), Scheyer, Laettner, Paulus, etc. Yes, most of these guys are white...ok, all but half. But I think it's more because they are the guys in high school that would do absolutely anything the coach said and would try to yell motivational things to teammates. Those sound like fine things, but if you remember high school the other players hated those guys usually...especially if they were the untalented gym rat types (don't get me started on the racial implications of the term "gym rat").

OK...I am now rambling. Good day, gents.

March 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB