iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

Fries & Ketchup: A stampede, the NBA Finals, and links

June 4, 2015


So, um, yeah, my students attached my head to a buffalo and placed that awesome monstrosity onto t-shirts. A longer story exists behind this shirt, the students who created it, and our year together in AP English 11, but I won’t tell it here or now. Right now, I’m still digesting how we arrived from September to now, and with time still left in the year, I’m not entirely ready to reflect on the school year as done. We’re still reading and analyzing Cormac McCarthy’s The Road (2006) and Karen Russell’s Swamplandia! (2010). So, I’ll just say thank you and that I’m incredibly humbled. 

After all, the whole moment still exists in some surreal space where my life seemingly transformed into a scene from Dead Poets Society, only I’m no Robin Williams and there was no script. How did this happen? I’m not sure, but I do know that it starts and ends with the students. Their faces belong on the shirt more than mine does, and their kindness has moved me into a place where words do no justice. 

I was a buffalo? 
You were a buffalo? 
No. 
We were buffalo.   

And then we stormed on. 


After such a corny end to the last segment, I should probably be in the mood to root for Cleveland's curse to end with a successful homecoming by the King. But I won’t. Somehow, and I think it’s due to all the natural player movement the Cavs have experienced this season, I’m finding Golden State’s effort to end a drought of their own much more compelling. In a year or two, perhaps I’ll find the Cavs more intriguing, but their Playoff run has lacked some ‘it’ factor that makes them an object to fawn or hate. In many ways, they bore me. The story seems too contrived, even if it isn’t. I’ll take the Warriors in seven, but I’ll be rooting for them to finish it in six.

I also want J.R. Smith to shoot pretty much every time he touches the ball.

I wrote more about the Warriors recently at The Classical: “When Golden StateFlooded Memphis.” My essential question in that article has yet to be answered: How does a team stop a movement that is in no way predictable? 

At ESPN/TrueHoop’s The BallerBall, I wrote “Josh Smith is never done” earlier this week. It’s about Josh Smith. 



Now that I’ve finished graduate school and the teaching year is also slowing down, I hope to have more original material posted at LCB in the coming days, weeks, and months. We storm on!

Bryan Harvey tweets fairly often @LawnChairBoys.https://twitter.com/LawnChairBoys

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB