iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

2010 Chicago Bears: Final Thoughts

January 24, 2011

If I said that I was absolutely crushed and devastated by the Bears going down to the Packers today 21-14 in Chicago, I'd be lying.


I'm definitely disappointed, especially with our 3rd string QB having to play a prominent role because our "star" signal caller went down with an "injury." Honestly though, I didn't have high expectations to begin with. Much like with a movie you get dragged to with zero hopes of it being good, then coming away liking it better than it really is because you thought it was going to be terrible, the Chicago Bears 2010 campaign will play out much like that in my head. It will infinitely be remembered fondly because I had no hopes going into it. For you to tell me we'd go all the way to the NFC Championship game with a putrid offensive line, a "mad scientist" offensive coordinator who decides to call a fucking reverse on a 3rd and 3 with the season on the line, and a head coach who has gone 24-24 the previous three seasons, I'd take it. We were a touchdown away from making the Super Bowl despite all of this, with some dude named Caleb Hanie taking the most important snaps of the season. We made Aaron Rodgers, coming off a game where he simply eviscerated the Falcons, look ordinary.

If the higher ups can upgrade the O-Line, preferably by drafing nothing but linemen in the first 3 rounds of the draft, then only one question remains. I'll start by providing a quote from an unnamed sibling via facebook that signifies the probable vitriol spewing forth from Chitown: " Jay Cutler is a pussy! I hate him!"

We'll find out tomorrow via the ESPN's and NFL Network's of the world whether or not he was really hurt. As of right now, I'm pretty sure Tom Brady would have had to be hit with a tranquilizer dart like Will Ferrell in Old School, (comic relief to cheer me up after the loss), and ditto for one Peyton Manning to have them not stay in the game. Our defensive leader, who played an outstanding game by the way, had his back in the postgame press conference, but deep down, he and the others inside the locker room probably have their doubts. Moving forward, I don't believe in him, hurt or not. I'm now left choosing between two teams I loath, looking forward to the Super Bowl commercials like a 45 year old housewife with no interest or knowledge of football, hoping that Fergie pulls a Janet Jackson at halftime. Come to think of it, maybe I am crushed and devastated.

3 comments:

Russ said...

I understand he was hurt and most of this criticism is unwarranted. I just don't understand why he wasn't on crutches and the coaches/doctors just let him stand on a knee that they knew was injured.

January 25, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Unknown said...

yeah, that does seem negligent

January 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Unknown said...

another thing i don't really get is when people say "you can question anything about Cutler but not his toughness; some guys have a higher threshold for pain than others." isn't that what makes someone tough. . . having a higher threshold for pain? if it's not that, then what else is it?

January 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB