iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

LCB NFL Picks: Week Five

October 10, 2009


Drody had a decent debut with his picks, going 2-2 last week. I on the other hand, did not. I did the last thing you should ever do when gambling, picking teams you want to win, leading me to a terrible 1-3 record. Yet I don't want to focus on my past failures, so let's get to this weeks games.

Quick Reminder: We are just picking winners, and will ignore the spreads. So keep that in mind when you head to your local bookies to place your bets. Also keep in mind, we may or may not actually know what were doing in picking these games.


Cincinnati Bengals vs. Baltimore Ravens @ 1:00 on CBS:
Langston: Through the first four weeks, the Ravens have been playing the best football in the AFC, and if not for the Tom Brady rules they would be undefeated. Their offense looks like an entirely different unit this year and the following are the biggest reasons why; Flacco has gone from game manager to franchise quarterback, the wide receiving unit actually consists of more than Derrick Mason and Todd Heap and lastly McGahee decided it's time to stop impregnating and start scoring. The defense has regressed a little bit, but it's not very noticeable when the offense is scoring the way it is. I like the Ravens to bounce back in a big way, winning this game 24 to 10.

Drody: The new order of the AFC north? That's what is on the line in this game. Both of these teams hope to distance themselves from the Steelers and be on their way to a division championship. The Ravens look to bounce back after a loss to the Pats last week, while the Bengals are continuing to prove themselves against top opponents. I think the Bengals want this one more, after last weeks nail biter against the Browns. I think the Bengals pull this one out though, Ochocinco scores a couple and the Bengals keep on a roll. Bengals 17, Ravens 10

Atlanta Falcons vs. San Fransisco 49ers @ 4:05 on Fox:
Langston: For me, this is the hardest game to peg. For each team's strength, the other has an equal counterattack. The 49ers biggest strength is their defense, the Falcons is their passing attack. The 49ers offense is started by the running game, the Falcons defense is best at stopping the run. I really have no idea how this game will play out, but I like the Falcons to win. I just don't see the Niner defense and special teams combining for three touchdowns again. Atlanta 24, San Fransisco 14.

Drody: This is an interesting game for me. Personally, I don't think either of these teams are as good as their records/ other peoples projections say them to be. It's an interesting game to see if either of these teams are for real. I think the 49ers will win their division, but it's because they are in a terrible division. I think the NFC south is down in general this year, besides the Saints. Since that's the case, and this game is in San Fran, I think the 49ers win this one easily. 49ers 28, Falcons 17

Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans @ 8:20 on NBC SNF:
Langston: Since the departues of Albert Haynesworth and Jim Schwartz, the Titan defense has turned into one of the worst in the NFL. Through four games they have allowed 108 points, good for bottom five in the league. That doesn't bode well for a team hosting one of the best scoring offenses in the league in primetime. I like Peyton to throw for 300 again, the Titans to consider playing Vince Young, and the Colts to win. Indy 42, Tennessee 10.

Drody: This game is a joke. Tennessee is terrible, the Colts are good. Peyton leads the Colts to a sound victory. I wish I had Peyton for fantasy purposes this week, but I don't, so that sucks. Colts 35, Titans 3

NY Jets vs. Miami Dolphins @ 8:30 on ESPN MNF:
Langston: The Dolphins may be playing at home, the Dolphins may have one of the best rushing attacks in the league, and they may have a chance at winning this game. But I don't buy it. The Jets defense is suffocating. The offense is well balanced. And they have an unmatched swagger. With all of these attributes, how could the Jets not win? Jets 35, Dolphins 28.

Drody: Another game on national tv that is not a good game. People are saying the Dolphins are liable to win this one, that they're due or something like that. I don't buy it. I think the Jets defense handles the Dolphins back up quarterback, and the Jets pull out the victory to keep them in the driver's seat for the AFC east. Jets 24, Dolphins 10

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I expect the Ravens top the Bengals. I'll take the Falcons over the 49ers. The Jets and Dolphins game is intriguing because it will show us which team really can challenge the Pats if either one can.

Drody: What does make a team due? I've ever understood that idea, except it seems to reflect that we think the underdog is fated to overcome eventually. But maybe the underdog just sucks and that's why he keeps losing.

October 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM
Drody said...

That's what I'm saying. I don't know why people say a team is "due". I think the Dolphins are just not good this year, so they aren't going to beat a superior Jets team. i hate when people say a team is due, when in reality, the said team just sucks.

October 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM
Unknown said...

Yes, i believe we're close to a consensus on this issue. on to more pressing issues...is J-Lo's asking to be called Lo-La a good move or bad move for this generation's greatest triple threat?

October 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB