iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

Georgia vs. Alabama, JMU football and IHOP, who shouldn't vote on election day, and Paul Newman

September 27, 2008

This post will either be brief or turn into a rambling tirade that goes on forever.... 

First, I am extremely excited about tonight's game between Georgia and Alabama.  Coach Richt has given permission for the blackout, and the game is at night.  Imagine the visual, not only will Saban's boys look like they're playing against the eleven UGA players on the field, the players on the sideline, and all the people in Sanford Stadium, but they will appear to be up against the night itself.  "Two ships passed in the night," and one got rocked.  Georgia wins.  




Of course, I am a bit worried that all the experts seem to be picking Georgia. Can a game of this magnitude be that easy of a pick?

__________________


Last weekend, I refereed a flip cup tournament in DC. I got paid fifty bucks to do so, and all my drinks during my time as ref were free; but I did fail to become the Ed Hochuli of flip cup refs. Anyway, after the tournament, I headed to Ballston, in Arlington, where I was meeting other JMU alumnae for their top five showdown with #1 Appalachian St.

Bailey's was full of purple and gold fans. The atmosphere was incredible, like being at Bridgeforth Stadium. The Dukes came back from 21 down to knock off the top team in college football's cul de sac division, a fitting title for this division because the only people who care about it are those who live on it--it leads no where, except to this 25 year old stealing syrup from IHOP.

After a night of football and debauchery, some friends and I wound up at the Ballston IHOP. The time is not important here. I ordered the Country Omelet, stating to the waitress, "since I'm from the country and not the city." I then came up with the genius idea to save my pancakes that came with the omelet for breakfast the next day, but Stan Yuengling doesn't have syrup at his apartment; so I put a whole plastic IHOP bottle of syrup in a styrofoam box of pancakes. I also took the precaution of texting myself the word "pancakes," so I wouldn't forget to eat them the next day. The problem here is I opened this text, thinking someone else had texted me. The next morning I had no reminder or memory of this fantastic treasure I had buried in Stan's fridge because I erased the "X" on my treasure map.

Last night, Stan's over at my place and asks when I'm coming to get my pancakes, which brings up a serious dilemma.

JMU plays Maine tonight around 6. Georgia plays Alabama around 8 or so, but Obama and Biden are speaking in Fredericksburg around 6 I believe; so do I follow my bleeding liberal heart south or my pancake-beer-loving-stomach north?

________________

People who vote in college football polls should not be allowed to vote come November. Georgia was ranked #1 at the beginning of the year and has won all of their games so far. USC beat a pathetic UVA team the first week of the season and rocketed to number one. All the pundits kept talking about how this UVA team had been to the Gator Bowl and won 9 games last year, but they somehow forgot to mention that UVA's quarterback from last year was kicked out of school and that all of those 9 wins were by an average of 0.0000000124 points. These people need to quit voting on style points, NFL potential, and tradition. Let the teams play, and if stunts like this are going to happen, then either don't have preseason rankings or go to a playoff format.

Further proof of what I'm talking about...


__________________

R.I.P. Paul Newman...I hope to write something proper in the next week....



He was an amazing performer and human being. There is no comparison past or present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB