iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

So I guess I'm a hockey fan now

June 11, 2009

Here we are, on the eve of game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and probably a lot of you are wondering "who cares?" Well, in fact, I do. I have become a hockey fan now, watching these playoffs and totally getting caught up in the Penguin fervor here in Pittsburgh. It's amazing. I don't really know how to explain it.

See, growing up, we were a basketball family. My dad coached basketball, didn't really like hockey during the winter, so it was only basketball for my family. Yeah, we would root for the Blackhawks if they were good, but it never really happened. So it wasn't really important.

And so we forgot about hockey. Just in general. Cause honestly, who cares? But then I started dating a girl from Minnesota, and hockey is the only sport she cares about. She took me to my first game. It was a Golden Gopher game, and it was awesome. And then we moved to Pittsburgh, and they love the Penguins here, so it was easy to get caught up in it. And to be honest, I love it. It's a great sport to watch. I've watched more hockey playoffs then NBA playoffs this year. And part of that is that there were teams I wanted to watch in the hockey playoffs, where as once the Bulls got bounced, I could care less. And so I'm a Penguins fan. And I will be wearing my only Penguins shirt tomorrow. And I'm waiting in high anticipation for tomorrow's game. I hope the Penguins win, but I'm not sure they will. But it's great to know that they have a chance. I guess the whole point of this is that it's easy to get caught up in something once you are surrounded by nothing else. Or that I'm easily swept up into the excitement. Or maybe that I'm just gullible. But anyway you look at it, Tomorrow I'll hopefully be watching Sid the Kid and Geno lift the Cup after a victory! Go Pens!


Here's a breakdown of how one catches Penguin Fever, which is actually more deadly than Swine Flu:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the Penguins and the Stanley Cup - do not think I will become a hockey fan but glad for you

June 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM
Unknown said...

so what's it like in Pittsburgh after the big win? do the yinzers think all this championship magic will carry over to the baseball diamond?

June 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB