iTunes & App Store

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge

Read Everything That Dunks Must Converge
by Bryan Harvey

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'

Truth & lies in Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur'
by Bryan Harvey

A world of child soldiers & cowboys

A world of child soldiers & cowboys
by Bryan Harvey

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'

To their own devices: Pablo Larrain's 'The Club'
by Bryan Harvey

Greatest Baseball Movie of All-Time

August 20, 2008

Me and my LCG were talking about all the baseball movies we have watched since we have been dating . It made me wonder how many of them would be on a list of the best baseball movies ever made. Some of the titles include Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Eight Men Out, and Field of Dreams. So I googled best baseball movies and found BostonBaseball.com. It lists every baseball movie they found note worthy, over 100 different titles. As I perused the list, I found some titles that automatically disqualify it as a legitimate best of ranking. Some of those disqualifying titles include; Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch, Angels in the Infield, and Bad News Bears go to Japan. But with a list of over a 100 different movies on one subject, what can you expect?

So I went back to google and found Baseball Americas top 10 baseball movies of all time listed on Baseball Almanac. Now this was a list I could compare my thoughts to. Here is their list;
  • 10 Major League
  • 9 The Sandlot
  • 8 A League of Their Own
  • 7 The Natural
  • 6 The Bad News Bears
  • 5 The Pride of the Yankees
  • 4 Eight Men Out,
  • 3 Bang the Drum Slowly
  • 2 Field of Dreams
  • 1 Bull Durham.

Pretty good list, but I got Rookie of the Year over The Bad News Bears. I'm a big Busey fan. Plus on my list The Natural would be a little higher, but like I said its a pretty good list. So what would your list look like? Any glaring omissions in this ranking?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appears to be the perfect ranking to me. I love when a League of Their Own gets props. Hanks is the man.


On another note...wasn't Air Bud a basketball movie, therefore disqualifying the idiotic “movie” that haunted me one summer at Y-CAMP when I was forced to endure 4 different matinees of this cinematic “genius”. Also personally Angels in the Outfield would be my #11.

-LCG

August 20, 2008 at 10:12 AM
Unknown said...

Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch was one of the many that followed the popular Air Bud, and as the title suggests is a baseball movie. There is also Air Bud: Golden Receiver(football), Air Bud: Spikes Back(Volleyball), Air Bud: World Pup (Soccer), and last but not least Air Buddies where each different dog has an joy for the same sport as their owner. Or as the plotline for Air Buddies says "When dad BUDDY and mom MOLLY are dognapped, their five adorable pups, the AIR BUDDIES, must save the day... " Air Bud is finding success in the straight to video release part of Hollywood.

August 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Unknown said...

My top 3 would have to be _The Sandlot_, _Field of Dreams_, and _The Natural_ in no particular order.

Also, where's Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra's _Take Me out to the Ballgame_?

August 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Post a Comment

 

© 2008-2010 ·The Lawn Chair Boys by TNB